Tuesday, December 7, 2010

What is Jesus doing with Those Pigs?!

While studying the gospels in my New Testament Introduction class, one question has stood out as unusual for my Western ears. In the gospel of Mark we came to chapter 5, where we have the account of Jesus healing the demon-possessed man who dwelled among the tombs. As Jesus interacts with the demons, they request that he send them into a herd of pigs (v. 12). Then we read in verse 13, “he gave them permission. And the unclean spirits came out, and entered the pigs, and the herd, numbering about two thousand, rushed down the steep bank into the sea and were drowned in the sea.”

One of the students asked me in class how this could not be sin for Jesus. Jesus allowed these unclean spirits destroy a huge herd of pig, which equates to a huge economic loss for that community. In all of my ministry, teaching and preaching through the gospels, no one has cared about those pigs. In this culture, however, there is a deep appreciation for the economic prospect of livestock. Perhaps I can be so bold to say that the people of Cameroon understand the culture of the Bible better than us Westerners.

So, how would you answer that question: How is this not sin for Jesus to allow the demons to destroy the pigs? I had two responses: 1. Just because Jesus “allowed” the demons to enter into the pigs does not mean Jesus is responsible for the actions of the demons. The demons caused the pigs to be drowned. Throughout Scripture we see God allow Satan and the demons to work evil and God is never to be blamed for the evil. Consider how God allows Satan to afflict Job in Job 1 and 2. Or consider how God allows Satan to enter into the heart of Judas to betray Jesus. Peter makes it clear in Acts 2:23 that it was according to “the definite plan and foreknowledge of God” that Jesus is betrayed to his death. It is a great comfort to know that evil is not out of the control of God. We believe that “for those who love God all things work together for good” (Rom. 8:28) and the God “works all things according to the counsel of his will” (Eph. 1:11), and yet, God “cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one” (James 1:13) and “God is light, and in him is no darkness at all” (1 Jn. 1:5).

The second thing I said was more speculative. I would need to do more research to affirm this truth (and I admitted that to the class). I said that perhaps this was an act of judgment by Jesus on that community. If this was a Jewish community (this I am unsure of, but suspect strongly; see Mark 7:27 – Jesus was sent to the Jews), they should have no business with pigs. God declared pigs to be unclean for the Jews (see Lev. 11:7). At this point in Jesus’ ministry, he was already being accused of breaking the law, especially the Sabbath laws. And here Jesus comes upon this community that raised unclean animals. I believe this reveals the hypocrisy of the Jews who were against Jesus. And this could be Jesus’ judgment on the hypocrisy of those opposing him.

So what do you think about those pigs? How would you respond?

I have to admit that answering questions from the students has come to be one of my favorite parts of teaching. I enjoy how their questions reveal what is near to their hearts and how they are digesting my teaching. I look forward to next semester when I will have more time in class to receive and address questions. Because of our late arrival and all that we are packing into a short period of time, I constantly have to stop receiving questions in class time. But next semester will be a normal pace schedule (which will be nice just for the sake of keeping up with the class prep time).

2 comments:

  1. This ia an awesome post! I really enjoyed it (as I'm a missionary)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I posted a comment on this thread. Hopefully you got it because it is no longer here!
    :)
    Kate

    ReplyDelete