Wednesday, December 15, 2010

English Grammar

When we left Roseville at the end of October, I was uncertain whether or not I would actually be teaching the English Grammar course here at CBTS. I think I had convinced myself that since we were so late in arriving for the semester, certainly someone else must have already been teaching the course. While I knew this was unlikely, I wanted to believe it would be true.

On that Monday evening when we arrived at CBTS, there were many people outside our home waiting to greet us. Everything from that night is sort of a blur. It was dark, the power went out shortly after we came into the house, we had travelled for 6 hours on a horrible road, and we didn't know anybody. (You know, it is quite exhausting to keep the kids from hitting their heads on the windows in the bush taxi when you have given them Drahmamine to keep their stomachs settled...and even harder when you have taken some yourself.) I don't remember if it was the president of the seminary, who scooped Jonathan into his arms as he climbed out of the taxi, or the academic dean, that said, "And your students are also eager to have you here for the English Grammar course." I have to admit my heart sort of sunk, and still I was slightly curious to take on this new challenge.

The beginning was rough. I was very uncomfortable. Yes, I speak English and I have brought my fourth grader through a few English Grammar texts, but I was a Bible major and most of my English grammar I learned through Greek! I think things would have been easier if nobody ever asked any questions. It's the questions from the students that are really trying to learn the information that often stump me...and then there was the time when the text was actually wrong...and there are differences between British grammar and American English grammar, right? So when most of the class tells me they learned something differently in secondary school, how do I know whether or not I am teaching something that is unique to American English? It also took quite some time to get a feel for how the class interacts with one another and also with the teacher. There is often a good amount of laughing, sometimes I do not understand it and at other times it is clearly at the expense of a student who has asked a question. In one instance, I think this treatment of a fellow student went far enough beyond what had been normal that a gentle rebuke was necessary.

The prep for class and grading are a bit more time consuming than I had thought they might be. After the first few weeks of class, I was certain that this was going to be too much to do while homeschooling and trying to adapt to living in a new culture. I thought that maybe we could at least grade the quizzes together in class and possibly some assignments as well. We attempted this twice, but I found that I couldn't tell which markings were corrections afterwards and which were part of the original students work. The grading would also go faster if I never assigned the exercises in which the students are required to write their own sentences. This, however, would rob me of the joy it is to read the creatively written sentences about how wonderful English grammar is and how delighted they are to be taking the class. Often there is also a sentence, or two, that makes some comment about Madame Erin. Of course, these students receive extra credit...actually, they simply make me laugh since I doubt that any of them prefer English Grammar over Greek, Hebrew, Systematic Theology or New Testament Exegesis.

Things began to change fairly quickly a few weeks into the course. It began on the day when I was able to personally return each student's work to the correct student and also to call them by name when they raised their hands. This is actually much easier than trying to remember not to gesture with my left hand while my right hand is holding a piece of chalk or an eraser. I also think my grammar has gotten better, and I've learned to simply say, "I don't know." I'm no longer concerned about body language and expressions or the fact that on any given day it is not uncommon to see a few students sleeping...or learning with their eyes closed. I really enjoy the class now. I am even a bit sad that the Christmas break will be for several weeks, and I think I will miss being with the students.

2 comments:

  1. Erin,

    You were a fantstic teacher in our co-op because you cared about the kids and wanted them to enjoy learning whatever we were learning. I see these traits have carried over to this new situation. Those students are blessed to have you there.

    Hugs and love,

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, exactly what Nancy said. :)

    It is really beautiful to see you enjoying your time and meeting the challenges you are facing.

    Hugs and love too!
    Kate

    ReplyDelete